Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Picnic Basket Tutorial


Here is a tutorial on how I made this Picnic Basket Box
for my DT project at Heartfelt Creations.

Heartfelt Creations

Cut a piece of white card 8 3/4" x 10 3/4"
and score 2" along each side.
This will form the box base.


Cut into each corner to make tabs.


Fold along the score lines and adhere the corners together
to form the box.


Cut a base for the box to sit on 5 1/4" x 7 1/14"
Cut the lid 10 3/4" x 5"
Cut the handle 1 1/2" x 12"
Cut the middle section 1" x 9"


Take the lid piece and score 2" at each end, 
these will form the flaps over the side of the top of the box.


Take the middle section piece of card and score 2"
at each end and adhere in the centre of the box. 


Place the lid over the box and mark the sides 
of the middle piece.


Score along the markings so that the box will open either side.


Measure each of the three panels on the top of the lid.
Depending on placement of the middle piece makes these
undetermined so need to be measured.


My pieces measured
5" x 2 14/16" for the two larger panels
1" x 5" for the centre panel

I also cut the two end flap pieces 5" x 2"


Adhere the pieces of paper to the lid.


Cut two pieces 1 1/2" x 12" for the handle.
Instead of adhering to the white card you can adhere 
the two papers together instead, depends on how strong your paper is.


Now cut the papers for the sides of the box.
2 x 6 3/4" x 2"
2 x 4 3/4" x 2"
(check the measurements by measuring the box sides)


Adhere the handle to the box on both sides.

 

Adhere the papers to the sides of the box. 


Adhere the lid to the box by adhering the centre panel 
of the lid to the middle piece in the box.


Ink the handle edges. (Better to do this when the handle is 
adhered together, but I forgot until now !!)


Adhere and ink the centre paper to the lid.


Ink the edges of the remaining panels.


Adhere the other panels on the top of the lid.


Adhere the papers to the edges of the lid.


Place self adhesive velcro to the side flaps of the lid.
This will secure the box lid in place.


Cut a contrasting piece of paper to fit the base.


Adhere them together and ink the edges.


Adhere the underneath of the box to the base 


Your box is now finished and ready for decorating !!!


Here is mine to remind you decorated. 


Have fun making one !!!
I would love to see your box, leave a link in the comments 
so I can pop on over to your blog and see your project !!

Happy crafting !!


15 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! Thanks for the tutorial. Question re the lid, is the measurement 10 3/4 x 12?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much ! I have corrected it ! Hugs xx

      Delete
  2. What a lovely project! Thanks for posting the tutorial. I will definitely be making one of these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, wie beautiful an great tutorial! thanks

    glg meggi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome tutorial, Liz!!! Blessings! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liz I will be making one of these. It is fab! You definitely give me inspiration xx Sally xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found this through Pinterest. Thank you for sharing your beautiful creation and the directions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fave project! I've been thinking about two gift boxes I need in the near future....have me new idea! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's beautiful!! What's the paper's collection name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! The papers are from the Arianna Blooms paper pad by Heartfelt Creations.

      Delete
  9. HELLO LIZZIE very good time with you .thanksfor being inspiratìon for me I am acraftlover fromIndia and always try to find outsome thing new but due to scanty tools icant do the same but i mwill make my inspiration in my next project.thank you

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thankyou and hi lizzie very nice tutorial .great inspiration for me in my next project.Iam from India and this art is not so pop ular herebut I as acrafts teacher will intro this to my students .Inspite of scanty tools and materials I will try with my stuff .I am heartly intetested in your other tutorials and con always learn somethong new from you. Iwill try to join you always .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a striking basket. Thank you for your tutorial. I am definitely going to try to make one. Hugs, Brigitte

    ReplyDelete

I would love it if you left a comment ! Thanks for looking, happy crafting.